Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Paradox of Suffering

The intensity of ones suffering can never be compared with another individual’s experience. No matter how you put yourself into his shoe, it will still remain his shoe and will never be yours. However, you can always gauge your own suffering based on the things that you have gone through. Perhaps, some experiences were not that tough, a few might be too hard that you might have already entertained the thought of ending your life. Yet, no matter how painful it is, keep in mind that ‘this too shall pass’, unless you linger on your suffering which consequently prolongs your agony.

There are only two things that can happen when you suffer. One is, you hang on to the pain until ‘time’ heals it and you ‘move on’ and forget about what has happened. The second is, you begin to ask what caused it. You tend to be introspective and start to look for the answers how it came about ---which happens rarely. But if you will really try to seek for the answers, you will be able to find it.

Ego, not money, is the root of all ‘evil’. At least, that is what I believe in.

There was one point in my life that I really felt devastated. Though it didn’t show from the outside, I was a total wreck.  But time was on my side, it helped me heal the wounds. I was alive again, yet only for a while. The arrow struck me again and the cycle never ended. And as the wheel of life turns me upside down, it woke me up to the reality that I was the only one responsible for my own anguish. Thus, my quest began to look for the cure of my suffering. And along  my journey, I have come to meet myself. Not the real me, but the illusionary identity that has been moulded by our society. That which we call ‘I’ --- the EGO.

It is the ego that causes pain in us. It is the ego that tortures us. Thus, once we have conquered our ego, suffering seizes to exist. Yet, in order for us to know our ego, we have to recognize our own suffering for without experiencing the agony, we will never encounter our ego. Hence, the paradox,

It is through our suffering that our suffering ends.

Namaste.

2 comments: