Sunday, October 10, 2010

Being Vegetarian

It has been a year now that I have become a vegetarian. Lacto-ovo to be exact. It was supposedly temporary. My aim was just to lose weight and make myself lean [which, by the way, I am still working on it. *winks*]. My target was just for 3 months but it went a little bit further, it has become permanent.

I decided to remain one because it provided me some benefits. First, I feel like I don’t easily size up and my weight remains at its normal level. Well, that of course is coupled with 4-6 times workout in a week.  Second, I have noticed some advantages which I really didn’t anticipate:

a)      Clarity
b)      Sensitivity
c)       Mindfulness
d)      Universal Connection

I really didn’t expect these things. All I wanted was to get lean and perhaps, at least follow what most Buddhist monks have been practicing – being vegetarians. I really thought that they were only doing it because they respect the lives of all sentient beings. However, it was actually more than that. It was only then that I realized that staying away from meat improves your clarity of thoughts, sensitivity of other peoples’ feelings, mindfulness of the things around you, and your connection with the Universal Consciousness.

On Clarity
A friend of mine told me that he has read from somewhere that in the ancient times, before the generals would meet for a war strategy assembly, they would stay away from meat for at least three days. He said, it helps them clear their mind, thus can strategize efficiently. I really don’t have any idea if it is true, but it really made sense though because it really does clear my mind. I am no longer irritable and I don’t easily think of ill-thoughts of others anymore. In my previous years, I was a short-tempered, and jealous guy even to my friends. However, lately, I just brush those thoughts off and tell myself “there is always an innate goodness in everyone and it is only my mind that plays tricks on me.”

I was once in a perfume shop and one of the store clerks asked me if I wanted to eat Shawarma [sandwich-like wrap of shaved lamb, goat, chicken, turkey, or beef]. I told him no and that I am a vegetarian. He was quite surprised since he said that is pretty unusual for a Filipino to be vegetarian. As a Hindu and practicing vegetarian himself, he then added that it can help me minimize stress and clears my mind too. Well, that says enough then.

On Sensitivity
I have always been sensitive with other people’s feeling. I can easily feel the pain or the happiness in an individual. Maybe, that is the reason why I easily cry, but not publicly though. Lately, when I started becoming vegetarian, the sensitivity seems to intensify and not only with feelings but sometimes with other people’s thoughts. Yeah, I know, some people will now call me crazy. I don’t read minds though but it just that there have been a lot of times that I say to myself ‘Hey! I know what your are thinking.” They say, that an emotion is always triggered by [a] thought[s]. I guess that is the reason why when you can feel the person, you can also know what he is thinking.

On Mindfulness
Perhaps since your mind has become clear, and your sensitivity has been heightened, then we become more aware of the things that are happening around us. We begin to understand the reasons behind every event that has taken place. You will notice that the Universe will speak to you in different forms – through people, things, and incidents, among others. And once you have become mindful, you will start to ask questions like ‘Where is the Universe leading me now?’,   and ‘What is it telling me?’

On Universal Connection
We are created with and of the same life force / energy. We are part of a greater whole and that we are connected in one way or another. However, since we are so much preoccupied in fulfilling our ego’s desires, we have lost that link with the Universal Consciousness --- the collective consciousness of everyone’s individual awareness. Once we have cleared our minds and become sensitive with others, our connection to the ONE flows without restraints. And if this happens, you will be able to communicate freely to the UNIVERSE. Though the Universe always listens to you, there will no longer be barriers. The two-way communication becomes effective and that you will be able to grasp the Universe’s message as it speaks to you.

It doesn’t necessarily mean that once you refrain from eating meat, you will immediately experience these effects. Though being vegetarian will really help in achieving clarity, sensitivity and the like, but if your ego is strong enough, it will still overpower you. Thus, in your quest to conquer your ego, staying away from meat is only one of the tools of achieving your goal.

Namaste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment