Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Tattoo

I have been contemplating of a good tattoo which will reflect my philosophies in life. At last, I have come up with a design [drawn by my sister] which will hopefully summarize all of my beliefs. Here goes the meaning of each:

Symbolizes balance and the natural duality of all things: light and dark, male and female, high and low, cold and hot; that which are all parts of a greater whole. Though I believe that the existence of duality is only an illusion, we can never deny the fact that each individual has different perspective on things. No matter how neutral an object or event is, the observer may view it as 'half-empty' or 'half-full'. 

Originally, the Ouroboros is biting its tail signifying the cycle of things including death and rebirth. Yet, in this symbol, the tail is already free which for me means the end of the cycle so that one is no longer subject to human suffering or further rebirth in samsāra. This means the attainment of Nirvana.

The Japanese Characters [Clockwise from Top]
The four elements of nature: Fire, Air, Earth, And Water. Aside from it's natural properties, I have linked them to my 'Live, Love, Laugh, Let Go' philosophy: Fire is for 'Love', Air is for 'Laugh', Earth is for 'Live', and Water is for 'Let Go'.

The Cross in the Middle
This symbol has two meanings.
1. These are four letter L's which stands for Live, Love, Laugh, and Let Go. 
2. This is also the top view of the pyramid which symbolizes the four sides of human's holistic growth : emotional maturity, intellectual soundness, spiritual unity, and physical health. 

What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. that's very well thought of. good for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I just found this while Google searching images for "Ouroboros". Your words and the symbolism are in perfect harmony and in tune...

    Peace,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea for a tattoo, I was just thinking about a way to combine the yin and yang with the ouroboros as well. I love the extra bits you have for yours. Ive been wanting to add the center of a graph to mine. sort perhaps using the ouroboros as a sort of unit circle... idk. but definitely hope you dont hate me for taking some ideas from this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. please go ahead. glad that i have provided you some ideas too.

      Delete
  5. I came across this while searching images of the Ouroboros as well. About twelve years ago, long before I had any tattoos, I decided I wanted a large back piece to symbolize my own personal beliefs and ideas about life. My idea was to have the Ouroboros in circle form eating it's tail, then inside that a Yin Yang with a circle in the center of it. Inside the center circle I want the Kanjii symbol for "One". I then want 4 Kanjii symbols surrounding the Ouroboros, but I have yet to decide exactly which ones. I am thinking: Top right= Birth, bottom right= Love, bottom left= Family, and top left= Spirit.

    When I came across your image I was awestruck by how similar in idea your image is to the one I created 12 years ago with a crude Paint program.

    ReplyDelete